Happy Friday! To celebrate, I have a treat for you.
For those of you planning a hike for the weekend (like me!), or just need a little healthy power bar to munch on you might like to try whipping this up. I was surprised in how little time it took me to make this (and they taste delicious!).
Adapted from the Move Nourish Believe website, here’s my take on things:
Homemade Energy Bars
Makes 12; Prep time 15min (2hrs to refrigerate)
1 cup almonds
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup dried cranberries
5-7 pitted dates
1/2 cup protein powder
2 tbsp. boiling water
handful of pepitas (to sprinkle over the top)
- Place almonds and oats in a food processor/blender and blend until coarse crumb
- Add protein powder, cranberries, and dates and blend again
- If possible, while blending adding the boiling water, slowly, until the mixture is well incorporated. If, like me, this is too much for your little blender, transfer to a large mixing bowl and stir by hand
- Press the dough into a lined slice tin and sprinkle pepitas over the tip, pressing lightly into mixture
- Place in the fridge for 1-2hrs before slicing into bars
This is one method to try, but feel free to play around with it. Next time I might try and add some coconut oil instead of dates (I love the taste), some cacao powder (for a more chocolatey bite) or some chia seeds. This is a great way to use up leftovers and ensure a healthier snack than your refined sugar-fuelled store bought bars.
Go on, give it a try. Let me know how you go!
update: This photo is another sort I’ve tried; apricot and coconut…